Let me start this post by saying my husband has lost over 40 lbs since November!
Amazing right? He looks great and feels great and I am so proud of him. How did he do it? Well, the biggest thing he did was that he left a job he hated. This was a major decision and probably one of the best things he could have ever done for us. He owned a construction company and it was such high stress, long hours, hard work. He was so stressed and had no time for himself. When we found out I was pregnant with our second child, we knew something had to give. Now he is a stay at home dad and works at various odd jobs when he can. I am also a teacher with summers off, so he will be working during the summer.
I bring this up because I really believe that to be healthy you often have to change your life and sometimes the changes and sacrifices are big.
Did I like the money my husband brought in when he had his own business? Sure.
Would I rather have a husband who is happy, healthy and will grow old with me? Absolutely.
To be able to do this we have had to sacrifice. We are now a one car family and I am sure that loading the kids up every morning to drop mommy off at work will have its not so wonderful moments. We don't go out to eat. I have had the same pairs of jeans for like a bazillion years. I almost never buy something just because I want it.
But we are now healthier than we have ever been. We function as a family unit and we are happy.
But as I think about all the big and little things I am happy to sacrifice for the sake of our emotional and physical heath, it is also funny to think of the things I just will not give up.
So here's my list.... What are you unwilling to sacrifice????
1. Coffee, and yes it is sad that this is number 1. I did not drink any the first half of both pregnancies. But I seriously love it. I like the taste, the smell, the caffeine kick. Along with this I need some kind of sweetner in my coffee. I am still at a loss for how to clean this up to my liking...but I refuse to drink it black.
2. Cheese. I love cheese. I could not be a vegan and my cheese needs some fat. This was reconfirmed when I tried skim ricotta last night. Part skim is as low as I can go.
3. Meat. I would love to challenge myself with a vegetarian diet for a month. I love me some veggies, but I don't think I could do it as a forever thing. Maybe I could if I still could have fish. I do try and have at least 2-3 meatless meals a week, but beyond that..I don't know.
4. Family trips. I would rather go on a random weekend trip than have a new wardrobe any day. And even though we are cutting costs, I will not sacrifice my desire to bring my kids to new places.
5. Butter or margarine for my steamers. I live near the ocean. In the summer we eat steamed clams and if I am going there, I need something to dip them in.
6. The Internet. My son is allowed to watch PBS cartoons. The Internet is what I do when the latest exhilarating plot of Curious George does not entertain me quite enough. Plus I have nursed one baby for a full year and will still be nursing my second baby for 4 more months. It helps me pass the time when they eat. Not to mention I really just need it for my job. Come to think of it, teachers should get free Internet.
7. Mascara and tinted moisturizer. I don't need some fancy pants brand...but something needs to hide my exhaustion.
8. My beach sticker. It is 60 bucks for 2 years and I need it. As I said I live in a beach town and the beach is the only reason I suffer through these long winters.
9. Yoga Pants. I love yoga pants. I wish I could afford some really nice ones (lullulemons???)...but most of the cheapies are fine. I work out in them. I wear them to bed. I wear them to mommy and me classes. I buy new ones when old ones wear out. I like the champion brand from target just fine.
I'd love to round this out with a 10th, but I can't think of anything else.