Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fence Posts and Lasagna

I am THE most inflexible person in the world. Seriously, iron fence posts are more flexible than me. I hate this about myself for a number of reasons. I love the concept of yoga. I did prenatal yoga when I was pregnant, and I loved it. But in prenatal yoga no one is expecting that you can bend over like a wet noodle. In real people yoga you need to be a noodle. I get all self-conscious about the fact that I can't even touch my toes and when I am self-conscious I hate exercise.

Now, you might be saying to yourself...if she stuck with it she might be more flexible and to a certain extent you are probably right. I did take a pilates class for a while, and it certainly helped my flexibility...but I was still far from soft noodleish.

The thing that is the hardest for me is when you have to sit on the floor with your legs spread and then sit up straight, which, by the way, is a signature pilates move. It it pure torture for me. It is almost like I have unusually short upper leg muscles.

I am going to try to work on this. By the time I am 70 years old I will probably be so tight I will be a hunched over mess.

Now on a positive note I made THE healthiest and best tasting lasagna tonight for dinner. If you love lasagna but hate feeling and being fat I totally recommend this. I made up the recipe, so I am sure you can adjust it to taste.

Ingredients:
1 package precooked wheat lasagna noodles (I like the Archer Farm Organic ones from Target)
2 cans of fire roasted organic tomatoes
1 package part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 small container of part skim ricotta cheese
1lb ground turkey meat
1 egg
1 eggplant
1 package fresh spinach
2 table spoons olive oil

Preheat Oven For 375
Peel eggplant and cut into thin circles
Heat the olive oil in frying pan.
Put sliced eggplant in pan, letting eggplant brown slightly.
Remove eggplant from pan
Rinse spinach and cook it in pan, drain off liquid
Brown turkey meat
In glass or metal lasagna pan pour a small amount of juice from one of the cans of tomatoes (just enough to coat the bottom)
Add one layer of noodles
In small bowl stir together one egg, ricotta cheese and 1/ 4 of the mozzarella
Spread 1/2 this cheese mixture over noodle
Spread 1/2 the eggplant over the cheese
Then add Turkey meat and then a layer of spinach
Then one can of tomatoes
Add 1/2 of what remained of the mozzarella
Add another layer of noodles and repeat the same layering process above ending with a layer of mozzarella.

Cover with foil and cook for 45 minutes. Remove Foil and cook an additional 10 minutes.

Let sit for 5 minutes and enjoy. So tasty, so healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment