Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Oatmeal is boring you say? Try this...

Okay, I admit it, I am food obsessed. The eating clean change has really made this even more apparent. There is nothing more enjoyable to  me than finding a really healthy, but really tasty food. Now, as most of my readers know, I was never a HORRIBLE eater, but I certainly over-indulged in some bad things (eating a half of a pizza was no strange occurrence). I refuse to go back to that. Instead I am channelling my love for food onto new things.

So most healthy people know that oatmeal is a top rated breakfast. I think oatmeal is okay, but I don't LOVE it. However, I have started a new love affair with overnight oats.
If you have not tried overnight oats, you should. It is easy, filling, healthy and fun. You make it the night before and you can get creative with it. if I was to compair it to something it would be a really high quality bread pudding or an oatmeal/ frozen yogurt like dessert.

You can do this in many variations but here is the general idea:
-In a small bowl mix together

-1/2 cup oats (I use steel cut or rolled oats or quick oats)...they CANNOT be instant, and instant oatmeal is not that great anyway.
-1/2 cup non-fat or low-fat yogurt. You can use any kind. I usually use plain non-fat greek or low fat vanilla
-1/2 cup low/ non-fat milk. I typically use unsweetened vanilla almond milk, skim cow's milk or vanilla soy.
-a swirl of honey or maple syrup
-1/2 a banana
-1 sprinkle of Cinnamon

Cover and put in fridge overnight.

When  it comes out you can mix in other toppings. I like walnuts and flax seed.
Instead of banana you can use any type of fruit combo. You can also mix in a spoon of nut butter (I like sunflower, almond or peanut) instead of the honey.

Mix it up! you can put in anything you want. You can also skip the yogurt and use twice as much milk.

Need extra protein? Add a scoop of protein powder.

I personally like to eat it cold. But I know some people warm it up, or let it sit at room temp for 10-15 minutes.

Really good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment