Sunday, February 13, 2011

I love Soba Noodles and My Mama

My mom was down this weekend, which was WONDERFUL. Every time she comes it makes me wish we lived in the same town. She took my son all day on Saturday so I got some special one on one time with my little lady, got some errands done AND wrote a paper for the grad class I am taking. It is amazing what a human being can get done without a 2 year old hanging off of them. She also bought us our membership to the local farm we frequent. It is a great little place that had lots of animals to visit and pick your own crops to enjoy. I am toying with the idea of registering for their CSA. I know we plan to have a large garden this year, but I wonder if I would get additional variety if we bought in to their share. We are eating A LOT of veggies. Hmmmmmm....

Now on to the noodles. I confess that I am no chef, but one thing I am good at is pulling together a meal in a snap.
We were planning on salmon for dinner, but both local fish markets were closed and most of the grocery store salmon is yuck. So I needed a quick back up plan and it needed to fall into the clean category. 2 years ago we would have ordered a pizza, it grosses me out just thinking about it.

Tonight I worked magic with a box of Japanese Soba noodles.

If you don't know about Soba noodles, you should. Soba is made of buckwheat and has good nutritional value. They are more expensive then regular wheat pasta, but they taste better and don't get stuck together.

Here is tonight's clean eating recipe:
1/2 box Soba Noodles
1 can of Italian flavored diced tomatoes
1/2 package of sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
1 egg
2 chicken breasts, cut up into about 8 pieces total (I use the chicken breast tenders)
olive oil
1. green onion
2 cloves garlic diced (I love the frozen cubed garlic from trader joes)

Boil water for noodles and cook them for 4 minutes
In pan add 2 tblspoons olive oil and heat.
add mushrooms and garlic and cook until brown
in separate pan add enough olive oil to coat pan and put on medium heat
beat egg in bowl
coat chicken in egg and then coat in flour
cook chicken in olive oil, browning each size (if the chicken pieces are small enough it should cook through)
when noodles are done, drain and add the can of tomatoes with liquid and stir
divide noodles/ tomatoes onto plates
Top with chicken and mushroom/ garlic mix
cut green onions to top off dish
You might also add a small amount of cheese

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment