Friday, February 24, 2012

Wobbly vacation legs

I haven't posted in a while. I have been enjoying the gloriousness of vacation week and we were on a trip to here (Wildflower Inn in Vermont)


It was a good time, mostly because the kiddos got a lot of love from their meme and pepe and we ate some excellent food.

I needed a little R&R after a stressful week of pregnancy tests. First off I failed the one hour glucose test and had to do the dreaded 3 hour the day we left. I also had an ultrasound o be sure I didn't have placenta previa. Before the tests I was getting down on myself. It annoyed me that I am working so hard to be healthy, yet still having to do all this stuff. However, I passed all the tests and everything is fine.

My other issue is that my SPD is HORRIBLE right now. If you don't know what this is, here ya go:

Symphysis pubic dysfunction, or SPD, is one of those weird pregnancy conditions that sounds bizarre and well, kind of is. It means the ligaments that normally keep your pelvic bone aligned during pregnancy become too relaxed and stretchy. This, in turn, can make the pelvic joint — aka the symphysis pubis — unstable, causing some pretty strange sensations and sometimes pain.

While your legs won't actually fall off (promise), it may seem like they're going in opposite directions from each other (and the rest of your body). Walking, standing, or rolling over in bed can really hurt as one side of the joint shifts more than the other, throwing everything off-kilter. In very rare cases, the joint may gape apart noticeably, a condition called diastasis symphysis pubis, which can cause serious pain in your pelvis, groin, hips, and buttocks (truly, a pain in the rear!).

The more babies you have, the worse it can get. I had it with Charlotte and it is 1000x's worse this time. So what does this mean. For me it means walking has been extremely painful the last week, sitting is worse, and sleep is impossible. It also meant that the 5 hour car ride to Vermont was hell on earth and the bad hotel bed was even worse. So I am having to rethink my exercise plan. I had to take a few days off from the gym, per doctors orders.

Basically the main parts of my fitness routine are making it worse. Anything where my legs are not both stable and on the ground together or where there is weight on one side more than the other, is making it worse (Think step ups, lunges, split squats, bosu ball leg work, high intensity arc trainer and elliptical work and anything on the core board). Honestly I am not sure what to do. I am going to start on Monday and try to lower my resistance on the cardio machines and do some of the circuit machines and any weight work that doesn't require my legs to move much. This is tough because I base everything I do on multiple body parts moving at once and I am having to change all of that. I am going with the mantra, something is better than nothing.

On a positive note, I did receive my foodie penpal box and am looking forward to posting about all the tasty treats that I got!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ouch, that sounds painful! I definitely didn't have that with my last pregnancy but I did have sciatica pain in my 3rd tri which was horrible. On a better note, I'm glad you passed all the tests!

    ReplyDelete