Monday, August 8, 2011

NROLFW and other stuff

I just returned from the gym and my official day one of the New Rules of Lifting for Women program. I will now refer to the program as NROLFW because it is easier and because it makes me sound hip and exercise savvy.

Day one was pretty easy, but I am really getting why it will help build muscle. Originally I considered skipping level one, because I had been lifting a lot and thought it might be too easy. But after really thinking about the program I realized that since it is about lifting heavier weights, not how much you exercise, that I had better start at the bottom. This was good because I had also spent the last two weeks eating road food, sitting on my butt in an RV and NOT lifting anything more than my two crazy kids.

So here is what level one, workout A involved:
 15 minutes warmup on arc trainer (not part of the program, but required when your body is still asleep at 5am)
2 sets of 15 squats with squat bar, 10 lbs on each side

Alternating sets of:
Pushups, 2 sets of 15...Did I ever mention that I SUCK at pushups and even 30 girly pushups is seriously hard for me?

Seated Rows, 2 sets of 15 with 40 lbs

Alternating sets of:
Step ups, 2 sets of 15 with 15 lb dumbells. I used a aerobics step with 4 extensions on each side.

Jackknife prones, 2 sets of 8. If you do not know what these are, I seriously suggest you youtube these are try them. They are freaking killer in a burn sooo good kind of way.

And that was it. Now so bad right? If you get the book you will know that the stress is quality, not quantity. You are only supposed to lift every other day, so tomorrow I will be doing intervals on the arc trainer or I'll go for a long hike or something. I will continue to check in and let you know how I am doing. Day 1 is DONE.

Now on to even more important things like EATING. I am going to try and post my weekly menus here when possible. It helps me stay on track and maybe, just maybe someone out there cares about what I am eating. So here is this week's. There isn't anything too new, so I doubt I will do any recipes:

Monday-
Spicy Grilled chicken with veggies kabobs (cherry tomatoes and squash). Sadly I will not be eating this, as I have a funeral to go to and will most likely have a subway sandwich...but it is what I am preparing for the family.

Tuesday-
Ground turkey meatloaf stuffed with light mozzarella, peppers and spinach...served with broccolini

Wednesday-
Tofu stiryfry with toasted tofu and mixed veggies (peppers, mushrooms, baby corn, bok choy, etc.) on brown rice

Thursday-
Spicy shrimp bowl found here

Friday-
Fish tacos, found here

Saturday-
Veggie pizza on whole wheat crust and Greek salad.

Sounds good right? I love to eat, and eating healthy can be good eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment