Saturday, March 5, 2011

Spicy Sesame Shrimp Bowl

Okay, YUM!

I love sushi rolls, like LOVE them..so this was perfect for me. I really wanted to use raw tuna, instead of the shrimp...but the seafood market was closed.

This was still really good and if you like spicy sushi, TRY IT.

What you need:
Sushi rice
1 lb medium or large raw shrimp
a few drops of sesame oil
Pickled ginger (they sell serving size cups of this in my grocery stores prepared sushi section)
red chile paste (you can find this in the Asian section of the grocery store)
Sriracha (also found in the Asian section, its hot Chile sauce)
1/4 of mayonnaise (I like the new low-fat kind with olive oil)
Sesame seeds
1 carrot, julienned
1 cucumber, julienned
1 avacado, sliced thin

-Cook 1 cup of sushi rice according to package and set aside
-Put a few drops of sesame oil in pan and heat on med-high. Add shrimp and cook until just pink and remove from heat
-In small bowl add 1/4 cup mayonnaise, 2 drops of sesame oil, 1-2 tablespoons of chile paste, and add drops of Sriracha to taste. It gets spicy fast, so be careful. Mix together.
-Heat a clean pan (not greased) on medium and add about 3-4 tablespoons  of sesame seeds to toast. Toss them lightly a few times. They toast in about a minute.
-Add half he seeds to the mayonnaise mixture and stir.
-Coat shrimp with the mayo mixture.
-Add rice to the bottom of 2 bowls. Lay the veggies on top of the rice. Divide the shrimp and put into each bowl.
-Use ginger to remaining sesame seeds to garnish.

I also added a little light soy sauce.

This was so good. A great alternative to Chinese food. Which is a food I CANNOT allow in my house because I am out of control with it.

I will try it again with raw tuna next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment