Sunday, August 21, 2011

Pizza, Pizza

I love pizza. It is cheesy and saucy and garlicy and all the things I love all in a fun, hand-held slice.

However, I never get pizza unless I make it myself. The calorie count on most takeout pizza is out of control. A friend once told me that a pizza place she worked at used one whole stick of butter in a small pizza. I have serious issues with takeout food, as it is the reason I gained every pound that I have worked to get off.

BUT if you make your own pizza, you can really control how healthy it is and make it really, really good.

Lately we have been having pizza and a big salad on Friday night.

Here is what I used:

1 whole wheat pizza dough. They have these at Trader Joes, Stop and Shop and whole foods. I get a bunch at a time and freeze them. And of course if you are a much better homemaker then myself, there are great recipes for your own healthy pizza dough.

Part skim shredded mozzarella

Crumbled feta

2-3 very ripe tomatoes or a can of whole tomatoes drained

1/2 package baby spinach, 1 package mushrooms, 3-4 cloves of minced garlic (you could use any veggies you like, I have used red peppers, broccoli, asparagus when I have had it)

3 tablespoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 450
Roll out pizza dough on a floured surface. We like ours pretty thin.
Place dough a greased baking sheet or pizza stone.
Brush edges of dough with small amount of olive oil
Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil on med/high and saute garlic and veggies (not the tomatoes) until lightly cooked
Slice tomatoes very thin
Put a light layer of mozzarella cheese on crust
then spread tomatoes out evenly (this is a substitute for sauce so you want enough to cover pizza)
spread out cooked veggies
Then spread a light layer of feta cheese over veggies

**I also love to add diced kalamata olives or olive paste

Place pizza in over for about 10 minutes, or until crust is starting to brown.

YUMMY!

I also love making my own pizza because I can make a little section of it the way the kids like it, which usually means just cheese and tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment