Monday, April 11, 2011

Interesting clean eats

First I must report on my gym goings: It is FABULOUS and I am really enjoying it. I went Mon, Wed, Fri and Sunday and every workout was pretty good. Every muscle in my body hurts and it was great to have some me time.

On the clean eating front, we are still doing pretty well. I did endulge in a bag of whole wheat tortilla chips and have been eating it with a fabulous raspberry salsa,  and my neighbor did bring over warm chocolate chips cookies of which I ate 3...but otherwise we haven't cheated much.

My lovely and talented sister in-law has been trying some new recipes and she just shared an interesting one with me. I tried it tonight and it was pretty good.

I'll call in Fake Alfredo

If you like Alfredo sauce, but hate the HORRIBLE fat content and the stomachache it gives you to eat straight up cream..this is an inteersting substitute.

The original recipe was:

IngredientsTofu, firm, 1 block Do NOT drain!
Parmesan Cheese, grated, 1/2 cup
*Onion powder, 1 tbsp
Garlic powder, 1 tbsp

Directions
DO NOT DRAIN TOFU! Puree all ingredients together in a blender until well mixed. Add additional water to mixture to reach desired consistency. Let sit about 2 hours to absorb flavors. Heat over low heat in a heavy saucepan until warm. Serve over favorite pasta.

**Upon my sister inlaws suggestion I sauteed fresh galic and onions instead of powder and added more than suggested.
I also added some seasalt, black pepper and some ground red pepper.

It was really good. It didn't have the richness that real alfredo has...but it was tasty. I really liked adding the red pepper, but we like spicy.

My sister inlaw also suggested a VERY clean idea of putting it on spaghetti squash instead of pasta. I thought this was brilliant. I used to eat spaghetti squah as a pasta sub. all the time and had sort of forgot about it.

I love spaghetti squash because it has a lot of great vitamins AND you can cook it in the microwave.

I served my fake pasta and fake alfredo with a nice piece of haddock to which I added lemon, pepper and  a light coating of wheat bread crumbs.

Not a bad combination. My only complaint is that I was still very hungry afterwards. I think I didn't have enough calories today. So I had a banana with melted peanut butter...YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment