Saturday, April 9, 2011

Freeench Friiiiiies

My confession of the day is that I LOVE french fries. I really wish I could be one of those girls who could say "ewww, how could anyone ever eat fast food." And trust me, when I really think about what I know is in a french fries, it does gross me out (Dr. Oz refers to them as cancer sticks). But I freaking love the taste of a greasy, salty, crunchy fry .It also doesn't help that I really love ketchup..and what is better with ketchup than fries???

French fries are what I put in the category of trigger food. Trigger food are food I do not allow myself to have. I am not against most things in moderation. If I am at a party and there is the best looking baked good I have ever seen, I will have some of said baked good because most are not trigger foods. Trigger foods are foods that I have no self control with. Trigger foods are foods that are responsible for any unhealthy weight gains I have ever had. Trigger foods are BAD.

Other trigger foods are: cheez-its, girl scout cookies, potato chips, Italian bread, french onion dip........

So, what have I done about the hole in my soul that has been left by cutting out the glorious fry from my diet? I have made my own sweet potato fries. This fills that hole about 3/4 of the way, which is pretty good.

Recipe:
Preheat oven to 450degrees
Hand cut 2 med sweet potatoes in fry like strips ( I think it tastes better to leave the skins on)
In medium bowl combine: 1/2tsp cumin, 1 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (pepper is optional and will make them spicy) and 1 tablespoon olive oil*
Coat strips in mixture
Place strips on sprayed baking pan and put on medium rack of oven

*I have used just ground sea salt and it is almost just as good. I am sure you could experiment with spices. I also have seen people use coconut oil instead of olive oil, I will try that soon.



Cooking time is around 15 minutes and I usally flip them once around 7 minutes. It may take more or less time depending on how thin your strips are. They are done when they are cooked thru and brown on edges.

YUMMMMMM.

....My sister in-law literally just sent me a recipe on zucchini fries, I know what I will be trying next (I'll let you know)

No comments:

Post a Comment