Saturday, May 28, 2011

Motivation is overrated

I have decided I am buying a shirt with one of my favorite sayings:

Motivation is overrated, JUST DO IT.

I love this saying because it is so true. These have been the words I live by since December. I think WAY too many Americans make too many excuses. I know I did, and at times still do.

How many times have you said things to yourself like:

I had a long hard work week, I should be allowed to eat this pizza,

or I have to get up super early this week and have 2 meetings, I don't have enough energy to workout.

?

The thing is, if you are always waiting for some motivation to show up, chances are you will never reach your goals. Of course there are days where I have motivation. The sun is shining, I'm feeling good, I could take on the world. Sometimes this comes from an unusually good mood or from being over-caffienated.

But most days I am ridiculously tired. I have a million things to do. I have two kids who take all my energy and the last thing I have is motivation to do anything.

I have come to realize I cannot always wait for motivation...I just need to DO IT. If I get my gym clothes on and force myself to go to the gym, somehow I find the energy to workout. If I pull the healthy food out of the fridge, I will cook it, even if I really want to be lazy and get takeout.

Motivation is usually missing, I just have to do it anyway.
/;

No comments:

Post a Comment