Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Post-Partum Body...1 week

I wanted to have a starting point to go by, even though I feel like it is a bit early for this. My current major goal is to get breastfeeding under control and get Vivienne accustom enough to life on the outside, that I am able to squeeze in some exercise when my body will allow me to do so.

The doctor recommends waiting until 6 weeks post partum until reassuming exercise. I plan to start slow by the end of week two by just taking walks and maybe doing some light elliptical work.

It is really hard to just sit around and feel fluffy, but I know better than to push too hard.

So here is some pre-pregnancy info to put my weight and body in perspective.

My last know pre-pregnancy weight was 138lbs and I am 5'7

At that time I had recently (1-2 months or so) weaned my daughter from nursing. Prior to that my lowest weigh was 132lbs, but that was at the peak of breastfeeding at not really a realistic long term weight for my height and frame. I was working out a lot at the time I found out I was pregnant and was in the best shape of my life.

The picture to the right of this post (in the tank top holding Charlotte) I am 135 lbs and it was a month and a half before pregnancy. That is my goal, to be around 135-140, in shape with muscle tone.

Pregnancy weight: On the day I gave birth I was 170lbs. This put me at a 32lbs weight gain.

1 week post partum stats:

Current weight: 152lbs

Measurements
High waist: 32"
Around belly button: 34.5"
Hips: 40"
Upper thigh (right): 23"

The good news:

I started this blog 6 months after my daughter's birth because I was feeling lazy and generally crappy about my body and level of activity. That post can be found HERE.

At that time I was 154lbs. So I am starting at a much better place. I also exercised regularly and weight trained until 37 weeks into pregnancy, so I think I am stronger and will not have such a long road to travel.

The bad news:

When you have 3 children (one who is nursing), a full time job and a household to look after, NOTHING is simple. If I want to get myself in shape I have to work at it and there will be NO room for excuses. When I started this healthy journey I had to wake up at 4am each day to nurse my daughter, than pump and then go to the gym. I expect it will be even more complicated this time. I do not have a gym that has a daycare and my only option is to go to the gym in the morning or work out after the kids go to bed. But I will do it. I will be a good role model for my kids and I will feel good about myself again.

So my first health/ fitness goals:

1. Get back to eating more clean than I am right now
2. Slowly start to exercise and get the kids involved in the process
3. Get down to 145 lbs

I will check back in at the one-month mark and let you know how it is going.


1 comment:

  1. Excellent goals, mama!! Good luck! I'm coming to the Cape in June and hope we can visit. And, check this out, you inspired me ;-)
    http://roadtorolemodel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete